Friday, March 2, 2018

A Dose of Ampicilin

For the very first time this week, I was able to give a dose of Ampicillin and a flush to a patient that was going to be put into surgery. The experience was unique and exciting because I felt like I was really making a difference in the dog's health for the better. Although it was only minor and anyone could do it, I felt more useful and like a difference maker.

The process was simple. I was given a needle with 5 ml of ampicillin and a flush, containing 3 ml of saline, by Nicole Bailey, a vet tech. The IV was already placed into the pug's leg so I did not have to poke a vein. Instead, all that had to be done was inserting the needle into the IV and slowly giving the dose to the dog. After the dose is given, a flush is given to make sure all the medication is in the system and no negative effects occur.